Monday, February 18, 2013

Second Anniversary - Incredible India


Cancer diagnosis
Today is the second anniversary of my Stage IIB breast cancer diagnosis. It truly feels like another life. In the two months leading up to that day, we were:

-planning our Labor Day wedding at Stanford
-wondering which exotic locale we would visit on our extended honeymoon
- traveling to Cabo San Lucas, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale within two months' time
-finding a weekend that worked for me and Las Madrinas (Jenn and Tara) to plan a shower/bachelorette
-buying a wedding dress that I picked up days before diagnosis, and which still hangs in its bag in my closet
-hell, even setting up this blog so Angel and I could regularly share our ideas, comings, goings, recipes, wines and anything else we fancied

When I look back on that time it doesn't seem like it was ever a part of my life. But it was. It was a wonderful time filled with love, hope and promise.

Cancer changed everything immediately. Most of the changes weren't good; most of the experiences were quite difficult. We've learned that cancer forever transforms your life. But none of the items listed above are things I couldn't do now simply because I had cancer. 

This last point is what #Delhi2013 and A Fresh Chapter is all about. Yes, cancer was - and is - a really big deal. Although we all still experience varying levels of side effects, we are here and we can invest in building inspiring, powerful post-cancer lives. Cancer did not rob us of ourselves. We are here.

India day 3
Day 3 was dedicated to orientation on the NGOs we will serve. Unlike our expectations, our orientation began with picking up the volunteer coordinator in what is easily one of the nicest neighborhoods on this continent. (Think Bel-Air or Beverly Hills.) She took us to a large, lovely Montessori school not far from her home to tell us about the placement & serve chai and cookies on a terrace in the middle of the school. The children at the Montessori are graduates of the programs in the slums in which we'll be working. They still live in the slums and I was thrilled to see them learning in such a beautiful environment.

From there we went to the NGO in Okhla. It was a perfect juxtaposition of Indian wealth and poverty coexisting. As soon as we opened the car door at Okhla we all realized we had to walk across a dirt road that doubles as a sewer. I thought I knew what raw sewage smells like. I didn't.

We quickly passed through the gate to the community center & from then on all we heard was laughter and excited, whispered greetings, all we saw was women and boys with wide smiles in classrooms (the girls learn at a different location) (they also have a state-of-the-art computer lab several LA nonprofits I know would drool over), and all we felt was the joy of the people. During the debrief at Home Base the Country Director said this experience will teach us there are different ways of thinking about poverty. Yes, it will.

We were just there to meet people; the real work starts today. (Unfortunately, I will miss it as my lymphedema started bothering me again and I had to bandage myself last night. I'm hoping a day of rest will help.)

After lunch and an extended Hindi lesson, we were divided into teams and given an hour to accomplish tasks designed to make us feel more comfortable in the neighborhood.  The assignments:

Take the Metro three stops away (during rush hour), come back to Home Base. (This team had a man on it so they couldn't ride in the women-only car. The woman on the team was the only woman riding on the packed car - it was fine.)

Walk into town, find a taxi stand & negotiate some fares, then find an auto-ricks haw stand and negotiate a ride back to our community between 20-25 rupees. (They got back for 20 rupees, but when they realized he dropped them on the other side he refused to take them further.)

Walk into town and purchase eggs, potato chips and other groceries.

My favorite: walk into town, purchase bread, butter, cheese, tomato & cucumber, take them to your flat to make grilled cheese sandwiches, then find at least 5 people to whom you can give the sandwiches (they didn't negotiate much so they had to make them on hamburger buns, but they gave out 10 sandwiches - that was the hardest part!).

My team: walk into town and purchase stamps (the post office closed at 4 - before we left), cold medicine (we quickly found the pharmacy), and an international landline calling card. It was fascinating because we couldn't get a calling card. Indians have so completely embraced mobile technology that no one uses landlines. We visited upwards of fifteen to twenty shops. (We would have had no trouble finding an iPhone5 or Samsung Galaxy.) My favorite stop was the bankers who tried using Google on their iPhones to find a local shop that sells them. No luck. I felt like I was in 3 worlds at once.

No wonder the tourism agency here is called Incredible India.

7 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Cecily--You are such an inspiration! Enjoy every moment of the wonderful experience you are living. It is proof positive that we never know where life will lead us, but it is always an enriching journey--Catherine

ChapterByChapter said...

Thanks for sharing your day and of course those days two years ago. I look forward to hearing it again and more when you get home. I liked the challenge you and the others had especially the banker googling to find a place. Just sounds so exciting.

Unknown said...

I'm loving hearing about your trip and so excited that you're doing this! To give a point of comparison, I did a semester abroad in India in college in 1992. There were no cellphones or ATMs, and hardly anywhere took credit cards. To get money, you had to go to a bank and cash a traveler's check, which involved taking numbers and waiting in at least 2 lines, ending with someone recording your transaction by hand, in a ledger, in triplicate. To make a phone call, you had to go to a Standard Trunk Dialing (aka "STD" - I am not making that up) booth and try to have a conversation while someone dropped rupee coins into the payphone slot one by one. There was no Coca-Cola or fast food, and I only remember eating cheese a couple of times during the entire trip - it came from a can, because I saw them opening it in the kitchen. Also, we might have walked uphill in the snow both ways to get to class, except that we were in south India and it was probably more like snakes and feral pigs and humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife. I love India and can't wait to get back there someday. Please keep posting!

zapladybug said...

Thank you, Catherine & Mom. This is an incredible experience.

Middletini - I never knew you did that! You are an incredibly brave soul! I can't imagine what it must have been like. And thank you! I'm still wrapping my brain around this blogging thing - I was afraid this post was far too long. You're a pro!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to be able to follow your journey as it unfolds! And such a beautiful way to honor a "cancerversary" by paying it forward! Hope your arm is better, and I look forward to seeing more!

XOX,
Lori

Unknown said...

Hi adventurer, I am loving reading your blog! Yes, please keep posting! I am hoping to go to India one day but for now I will see it through your eyes. It is amazing and inspiring that such a life-affirming and hope-giving experience falls on the two-year anniversary of your diagnosis. Stay strong,hope the swelling goes down fast, and tell us more! Your description of the technology know-how even in the poorest neighborhoods reminded me a little of the movie "Outsourced" -- a little gem of a movie. xo

zapladybug said...

Thank you, Lori & Jacqui! It has been an incredible experience. Lori, you're next!

I look forward to seeing you both soon.

xoxo