Saturday, February 16, 2013

First Day in #Delhi2013


My Bedroom Window from the Terrace

I can't believe I've been in Delhi for less than 24 hours. I'm already lying in bed stifling sobs, crying softly  so as not to disturb my roommates. In true #Delhi2013 style I'm not crying for me or what I've experienced through cancer. I'm crying because one roommate (Dr. Alex) shared a beautiful letter her daughter wrote about her experience with cancer. Yes, she fears prematurely losing someone she loves, but her letter describes how her mother's cancer inspired her to be a better person. (I'm not blog-savvy yet: http://convio.cancer.ca/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFL_ON_odd_?px=4062912&pg=personal&fr_id=13496)

Below follows a rough synopsis - I'm working on very little sleep here (more later) - of the trip to & arrival in Delhi.

LAX to DEL via LHR
I flew British Airways to London, then on to Delhi. The LAX customer service was pretty atrocious - it reminded me of stories I would hear about expats in London.  They even wouldn't issue a boarding pass to Delhi because Economy Premium was oversold by 10 seats.

My choice: fly to London and trust that I'll get a seat or call Mom & yell,  "turn around!" But as Angel often says of traveling to India, "you just have to say, "India, here I am!" I just didn't realize India would meet me at LAX.

I took the flight - I still wonder what they meant by "premium economy." (I'm thinking more like "God awful" and "don't plan to sleep - or use your tray if you're neighbor is resting on the cover.) 

Once I arrived in London everything changed. I didn't have to wait in the "queue" for my boarding pass - it was done in an instant. But the true coup de grace was the surprise upgrade to Business Class at the gate.

Champagne upon arrival at my seat? Check.
Scottish smoked salmon (again)? Check.
Seat that folds completely flat as a bed? Check mate - I was out like a light for 8 hours.

Accommodations

Our group is spread out amongst a community in South Central Delhi (well it is on the map, anyway). I learned during an afternoon walk in the rain (well, really slide around in the mud while trying to avoid getting hit by cars & motorcycles going every which way super fast while honking their horns*) that it is a protected community. I think it's a middle class area. This morning a hawker or two walked up the street and yelled about their items for sale - I have no idea what they were selling.

(*Today I heard whoever honks first has the right of way here. Is this true?)

I landed in one of the rooms with two other roommates - both Canadian. (I love that our group is heavily Canadian. Our countries don't socialize enough...)  We are on the second floor of a two-story flat that has its main floor on the third floor of our building. (Whew!) The stairs remind me of Jenn's 5th floor walk-up in Manhattan...

Losing My Old Self
Here's the funniest part - I keep getting lost. Tonight was the worst. My usually rock-solid sense of direction didn't follow me off the plane this morning.  In this environment you can't help but wonder the deeper meaning of something like this. Does this mean I lack direction? Or does this mean I have a mean case of an insidious non-drowsy jet lag? Or both?

Thank You
It's clear I and the #Delhi2013 Dozen are definitely going to have an intense, truly life changing experience here. Thank you to everyone who supported me every step of the way. You have no idea how hard I depended on my relationships to get me through treatment. I am still relying on you, and I am so grateful for your enthusiastic support.

Cecily
 P.S. I apologize for the lengthy post. And this doesn't even come close to all I wanted to tell you!

No comments: